|“||Allows both actions to be used for Standard Shot, Headshot, or Disabling Shot, provided no moves were made. 1 turn cooldown.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- No abilities aside from the ones listed in the description are available after the first shot has been fired, not even Overwatch.
- If there is no available target after the first shot has been fired (and provided this skill is not on cooldown), the Sniper's turn is automatically ended.
- The second shot must be executed immediately after the first shot, so it's highly recommended to have sight on at least two enemies before shooting. This can be done with the Sniper or with another soldier if the Sniper has the skill Squadsight.
- A Sniper with Snap Shot has a minor drawback with Double Tap: the second shot has the same Aim penalty of moving before firing. At the same time, at Colonel rank the penalty shouldn't be a huge concern if the Sniper is at a high perch, and in case the player wants to conserve the ability, the Sniper can move before firing so as to not activate the ability.
- In bonuses (displayed after pressing F1 when the unit is selected), the following is described "Unit has not yet moved this turn and may therefore fire the sniper rifle twice.".
- A "double tap" is a shooting technique where two shots are fired in rapid succession at the same target with the same sight picture (different from the controlled pair, where a second sight picture is acquired for the second shot).
- A "double tap" can also refer to firing an extra shot to confirm a hostile kill, such as delivering a headshot to an already incapacitated or dead target.