|“||The EMP cannon was developed in an effort to increase the chance of recovering functional alien technology from downed UFOs. Although the alien systems will be disabled, the EMP does not inflict physical damage to these components.||”|
– Engineering description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Production Time: Immediate
- Electromagnetic waves do high damage to UFO internal systems but leave other essentials recoverable.
- Alien crew survival much more likely if their craft is downed by EMP.
- While ordinarily outshined by the Fusion Lance, heavy use of the EMP Cannon is virtually mandatory if using the "War Weariness" Second Wave option, where funding from the Council Nations decreases every month (eventually reaching nothing). Shooting down UFOs with EMP, followed by judicious sale of intact alien artifacts on the Gray Market, can pull the player through this.
- Using the UFO Tracking (Boost) module at the start of the interception helps to make up for the EMP Cannon's deficient range when intercepting more powerful UFOs. Expending a Boost module will immediately boost the XCOM craft into the Short engagement range band, where the EMP cannon is actually slightly more effective than the Fusion Lance (100% Accuracy vs 90%, and Medium Fire Rate vs Slow). The larger bounty of recovered artifacts from an EMP-disabled alien ship is almost certain to offset the cost of the Boost module.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.