An EXALT Heavy is a new enemy introduced in XCOM: Enemy Within.
The EXALT Heavy is a unit encountered early in EXALT missions that is armed with a rocket launcher and LMG. It is the equivalent of a XCOM Heavy with a lower Aim stat.
|Fire Rocket||Fire a rocket using an equipped launcher. This ability can not be used after moving, nor more than once per mission.|
|Holo-Targeting||Shooting at or suppressing enemies also confers +10 Aim to any allies' attacks on those enemies.|
|Suppression||Fire a barrage that pins down a target, granting reaction fire against it and imposing a 30 penalty to Aim.|
- EXALT members cannot be captured, and will instead commit suicide if stunned with an Arc Thrower, granting the Pain in the Neck achievement. Their weapons can be recovered and sold on the Gray Market.
- EXALT Heavies are the most expensive basic EXALT unit, more so than Elite Medics
- Use them for their rockets first, then their frag grenade, and finally their LMG
- The LMG should be used for suppression, as the EXALT Heavy's aim stat is fairly terrible
- They are cheaper than an equivalent XCOM Heavy, but cannot be customized and have poorer stats
- Holo-Targeting is useful if running a full EXALT squad, because it gives a much-needed boost to the squad's accuracy
- Their health is roughly average; expect them to survive a few rifle shots, perhaps a plasma pistol or two, and a single Light Plasma Rifle shot. Anything more will instantly kill them.
Killing EXALT Heavies should be the squad's first priority when encountered. Their rocket launcher can do a good amount of damage and will destroy cover, leaving your squad exposed to any other EXALT forces, and it is not disabled by hacking comm relays. It should be noted that like XCOM Heavies, EXALT Heavies cannot fire their launcher after moving.
Employing stealth is advised when facing EXALT Heavies, given that, despite possessing AoE abilities, said enemies will only use them if the target is within their LoS. Staying at least one tile away from corners, for example, will force EXALT Heavies to move in an attempt to locate the squad, possibly exposing themselves to reaction fire and/or flanking maneuvers, to say nothing about the fact that, as aforementioned, rockets can't be fired after moving, which effectively means that executing this tactic successfully renders Heavies even less dangerous than enemies equipped with grenades.
Rockets used by EXALT Heavies can only be fired in a straight trajectory, meaning that they are susceptible to collisions. This allows a soldier to safely lure enemies by using Hunker Down in full cover even when Heavies are present, as they will not fire against a soldier within their LoS if a large enough object is located between them.
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown Enemies|
|Aliens||Berserker • Chryssalid • Cyberdisc • Drone • Ethereal (Uber) • Floater (Heavy) • Mechtoid |
Muton (Elite) • Outsider • Sectoid (Commander) • Sectopod • Seeker • Thin Man • Zombie
|EXALT||EXALT Heavy (Elite) • EXALT Medic (Elite) • EXALT Operative (Elite) • EXALT Sniper (Elite)|