A frag grenade is an anti-personnel fragmentation weapon that is designed to disperse shrapnel upon exploding causing bodily harm to any unit within range; the grenade's explosion is also capable of destroying most forms of cover.
As with all conventional weapons, the Frag Grenade is available at the beginning of the game, and its supply is unlimited.
|“||▪ Uses per mission: 1|
▪ The Frag Grenade's blast radius is 2 tiles
▪ Does 3 damage to all targets in blast area
▪ Friendly targets in blast area are affected
|– Tactical Info, XCOM: Enemy Unknown|
- Rendered obsolete once sufficient amounts of Alien Grenades have been acquired to equip an entire squad.
- A grenade's tactical value extends beyond just wounding or killing enemies by being able to immediately destroy cover or walls; such environment destruction can make shots easier for other soldiers, open up new paths of movement or make other new tactical options available.
- Like most explosives in the game, if an alien is killed by a grenade, any artifacts on their person will be rendered unusable and will not be salvageable at the end of the operation.
- As with other explosive weapons, grenades are best employed early in the player's turn for two reasons related to the earlier points. Firstly, the destruction of cover will make it easier for follow-up fire from the soldier's squad-mates to hit the exposed enemy. Secondly, an alien that is wounded by a grenade, but finished off with normal gunfire, will still drop Weapon Fragments and other artifacts, whereas successfully attacking the alien in reverse order will yield no salvageable items upon its death.
- The amount of AoE damage that the Frag Grenade deals is very poor and disproportionate to its size and theoretical power; furthermore, the grenade's ability to deal damage through solid indestructible cover actually suggest an primarily concussion-based payload (and not fragmentation).
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown Weapons|
|Grenades||Alien Grenade • Flashbang Grenade • Frag Grenade • Gas Grenade • Ghost Grenade • Needle Grenade|
|Heavy||LMG • Heavy Laser • Heavy Plasma|
|Launcher||Rocket Launcher • Blaster Launcher|
|MEC||Minigun • Railgun • Particle Cannon|
|Pistols||Pistol • Laser Pistol • Plasma Pistol|
|Rifles||Assault Rifle • Laser Rifle • Light Plasma Rifle • Plasma Rifle|
|Shotguns||Shotgun • Scatter Laser • Alloy Cannon|
|Sniper||Sniper Rifle • Laser Sniper Rifle • Plasma Sniper Rifle|