|“||Once we build this facility, a psionically powerful soldier will be able to access the Ethereal's psychic net.||”|
– Engineering description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Facility Maintenance: §100 per month
The Final Step
The Gollop Chamber is required to interact with the Ethereal Device and make contact with the Uber Ethereal. A soldier with Psionic abilities and equipped with Psi Armor is chosen to become The Volunteer for this task.
Once the Gollop Chamber is activated the final mission becomes available and progression in the game is virtually stopped; no time-demanding actions can be performed, no other missions can be undertaken and all active missions will be aborted (without any consequences).
- There is no need to build this facility until XCOM is fully prepared for the final assault. This would postpone its maintenance fees.
- Like the Hyperwave Relay, this facility cannot be demolished once constructed.
- The Psi Armor must be constructed and equipped to someone in order for them to use the Gollop Chamber. This means that you must construct at least one Psi Armor to complete the game.
- After a soldier is subjected to the Gollop Chamber, they will then be unable to take the Psi Armor off.
- There is a bug where if you hire soldiers from the barracks, time will resume but you will be unable to scan.
- The Gollop Chamber is named after Julian Gollop founder of Mythos Studios in the UK, and his brother Nick, who conceived of and developed the original X-COM games for MicroProse. This is alluded to in the Ethereal Device project report, which states that the Gollop Chamber was conceived by "two of our brightest young minds, a team of brothers", and by the achievement for building it, which is called "On the Shoulders of Giants".