|“||Causes the target to lose grip on reality, inflicting penalties to Aim [-25], Will [-25], and mobility, and doing 5 base damage. Robotic units are immune. Lasts 3 turns. 1 turn cooldown.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
The formula for chance of success of Mindfray most likely (confirmed only by in game experiments) is
Chance of Success=Psi attacker's Will - Target's Will+ 40
In particular, the chance of success is independent of cover, distance, aim, etc. This means that Will of only 70 guarantees Mindfraying and thus instantly killing a Floater or a Sectoid while Will of 75 suffices for sure kill of Thin Man in Classic or lower difficulty.
- Either because of a bug, or because of a flying dead corpse making it's way, but an enemy just killed by Mindfray relatively next to a one tile wide normal terrestrial door opens said door. You need to factor this into your plans because it opens new areas for your vision thus may activate potential new hostiles, especially dangerous in Iron Man mode.
- At lower difficulties, it is an effective replacement for or supplement to Suppression.
- If a target is wounded, there is a greater chance to succeed due the Will penalty inflicted on the unit.
- As Mindfray doesn't factor in cover or distance, use Mindfray against targets that are in cover when your weapons have a lower chance of hitting them.
- Berserkers, Chryssalids, Zombies, Sectoid Commanders, and Ethereals are all difficult targets, due to their high Will stats. On the other hand, it is very useful against Mutons and Muton Elites as well as Floaters and Heavy Floaters.
- Can be used effectively to instantly kill Sectoids, Thin Men, and Floaters without expending ammunition or risking a miss.
- This attack can deal 6 damage if the targeted enemy was hit by a Shredder missile.
- Mindfray will be your bread-and-butter ability for Psionic units, as a Mindfray and Mind Control combo can easily lower an enemy's Will and then quickly take control of them.
- To do this, Mindfray an enemy, wait for the next turn, and then use Mind Control on it. A soldier cannot Mindfray and Mind Control during the same turn, since it takes two action points and requires one action point to take effect. There is also a one turn delay before taking control of the Mind Controlled unit; by then the enemy will be back to normal and lose the Mindfray debuff.
- This can be used by every Psionic Class in multiplayer, Sectoid Commander and the Ethereal. Mindfray coupled with Psi Lance can be a deadly combo as the lowered Will increases the damage of Psi Lance, not to mention that humans receive the "Battle Fatigue" debuff which lowers their Will if they sustain any damage.