|“||A variant on the Frag Grenade, this weapon does equivalent damage over a much larger area, but the projectiles cannot penetrate cover. Thus, units in cover relative to the center of the blast area will be unaffected.||”|
– Engineering description, XCOM: Enemy Within
A "needle" grenade is an anti-personnel fragmentation weapon that is designed to disperse shrapnel upon exploding, minimizing environmental collateral damage, while causing bodily harm to any unit within range.
Production Time: Immediate
- Increased blast radius (5-tile radius) compared to standard frag grenade (2-tile radius)
- Like frag grenade deals 3 base explosive damage to units in radius
- Units in cover relative to center of blast radius will not take damage
- In common with all grenade types, Needle Grenades are 100% accurate and deal consistent base damage across their radius.
- Tactical advantages in using this grenade include:
- Think carefully about producing these: Chryssalid corpses are rare and difficult to acquire, and also necessary for Chitin Plating.
- Thankfully the Aiming AnglesEW Second Wave in option has no effect on this grenade, because it is an area of effect blast, and the fact that this is not a soldier.
- This is how fragmentation grenades actually work, shredding the target with shrapnel rather than crushing it with a concussive blast wave.
- The damage that the Needle Grenade inflicts is considerably lower than one might expect due to game balancing. In a real world scenario the rending caused by the grenade would almost certainly lead to internal bleeding, ruptured organs and likely a complete fatality when used on a 'soft' or unarmoured target: Sectoids, Thin Men, EXALT soldiers, etc.
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown Weapons|
|Grenades||Alien Grenade • Flashbang Grenade • Frag Grenade • Gas Grenade • Ghost Grenade • Needle Grenade|
|Heavy||LMG • Heavy Laser • Heavy Plasma|
|Launcher||Rocket Launcher • Blaster Launcher|
|MEC||Minigun • Railgun • Particle Cannon|
|Pistols||Pistol • Laser Pistol • Plasma Pistol|
|Rifles||Assault Rifle • Laser Rifle • Light Plasma Rifle • Plasma Rifle|
|Shotguns||Shotgun • Scatter Laser • Alloy Cannon|
|Sniper||Sniper Rifle • Laser Sniper Rifle • Plasma Sniper Rifle|