Negative Traits are modifiers that can affect soldiers in XCOM 2: The War of the Chosen. Soldiers may perform undesired actions under certain conditions if they carry a Negative Trait.
Negative Traits are gained through combat when a soldier is wounded by a certain enemy, fails a certain action enough times, or simply obtains it naturally.
Negative Traits that involve taking a specific action can be avoided by taking an action that uses up all of the unit's actions (i.e. dashing, firing, Overwatch etc). All traits will chance for their effects when triggered - it is possible for them to not take a negative trait response.
Negative Traits can be cured in the Infirmary after it is built, which will leave them out of action for 5 days to cleanse them of each of their negative traits.
List of Possible Negative TraitsEdit
- Fear of Fire - Has a chance to panic when the soldier or a squadmate is burning. Can be obtained when they or their squadmates burn too often.
- Fear of Poison - Has a chance to panic when the soldier or a squadmate is poisoned. Can be obtained when they or their squadmates are poisoned too often.
- Fear of Missed Shots - Has a chance to panic when the soldier misses a shot. Can be obtained after the soldier misses too many shots.
- Fear of Psionics - Has a chance to panic when an ally takes damage from a Psionic attack.
- This includes attacking one's own soldiers using Void Rift or Null Lance as a Psi Operative.
- Fear of (Enemy Unit) - Has a chance to panic when a certain enemy unit is spotted on the field. Can be obtained when the soldier is wounded by a specific unit multiple times. This trait only activates once per pod revealed.
- Phobophobia - Has a chance to panic when an ally panics. ("If they're gonna freak out like that, so am I.")
- Obsessive Reloader - Has a chance to reload their weapon to full after their first movement action if their ammo is not full.
- Cautious - Has a chance to Hunker Down after their first move action.
- Overly Aggressive/Conduct Disorder - Has a chance to fire directly on an enemy unit when placed on Overwatch instead of going on Overwatch. ("We just need to show them who's boss around here.")