|“||This high-powered, recoilless slugthrower can be fired in short bursts to devastating effect, although the sizes of its housing and power supply require it to be mounted on a MEC. Prior to our research on heavy laser weapons, we had no access to a small enough power source.||”|
– Engineering description, XCOM: Enemy Within
- Miniaturized power supply derived from laser tech.
- Only equipped by MEC Troopers.
- Risk of catastrophic overheating precludes suppression with this weapon.
- The Railgun's Critical Damage is incorrectly listed as 11-13 in-game.
- Real-life railgun development is indeed hampered by inadequate materials, bulky power sources, extreme heat build-up, and the risk of burning the rails to the point of uselessness with one shot.
- There is significant debate whether the term "recoiless" is applicable to this weapon. A kinetic weapon (like a railgun) generates recoil by default due to Newton's Third Law of Motion in proportion with the energy of the projectile; conventional recoilless weapon designs (such as the Rocket Launcher) rely on some form of counterforce, usually backblast, to counter (most of) the recoil. The Railgun instead has a solid butt-plate, in stark contrast with the less conventional interfaces of both the Minigun and the Particle Cannon, and is carried by a super-strong cybersuit that fires it in single shots only while solidly shouldered, and still visibly struggles against the recoil.
- An open barrel with unconnected rails is a possible design weakness - rails repel violently during firing.
- The Railgun is one of XCOM's three advanced projectile weapons; the others are the chemical Phoenix Cannon and the magnetic Alloy Cannon.
- Despite the alleged "risk of catastrophic overheating" precluding suppression, the Railgun can still be used for Collateral Damage.
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown Weapons|
|Grenades||Alien Grenade • Flashbang Grenade • Frag Grenade • Gas Grenade • Ghost Grenade • Needle Grenade|
|Heavy||LMG • Heavy Laser • Heavy Plasma|
|Launcher||Rocket Launcher • Blaster Launcher|
|MEC||Minigun • Railgun • Particle Cannon|
|Pistols||Pistol • Laser Pistol • Plasma Pistol|
|Rifles||Assault Rifle • Laser Rifle • Light Plasma Rifle • Plasma Rifle|
|Shotguns||Shotgun • Scatter Laser • Alloy Cannon|
|Sniper||Sniper Rifle • Laser Sniper Rifle • Plasma Sniper Rifle|