|“||Devastate an area with a storm of psi energy. The rift does more damage against targets with low Will, and reduced damage against targets with high Will. 4 turn cooldown.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Rift is a very powerful area of effect attack that produces large damage to target which has low Will. The Rift storm remains in play through the enemy's turn, and like a Thin Man's Poison Spit, will damage units that pass through the area of effect while it is still active. It does not destroy cover.
- The Volunteer gains this ability after activating the Gollop Chamber, prior to the Temple Ship Assault.
- When used, XCOM units will take damage without a friendly fire warning if moved into the area.
- Rift is effective on congregations of enemies, both weak and strong.
- Both Psi Lance and Rift can affect robotic units; Rift produces substantial damage as these units are effectively treated as having 0 Will.
- Rift can hit enemies that are in flight.
- Unlike other abilities with area of effect, the area of effect caused by Rift is not a sphere but a circle that will affect only units at the same elevation as the Rift's center.
- The Sid Meier cheat code unit also posessess Rift (EW and EU)
- Rift's damage depends on difference between Will of caster and target. Increase of caster's Will by 10 increase damage by one and increase of target's Will by 10 decreases damage by one. Damage cannot be lower than 4.