|“||The Scatter Laser is capable of inflicting considerable damage; however, accuracy suffers greatly as the range to target increases.||”|
– Engineering description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
|“||▪ An application of laser technology to the shotgun
▪ Most effective at close range due to beam diffusion
▪ Like other shotgun variants, the Scatter Laser has a high base chance to cause critical hits
|– Tactical Info, XCOM: Enemy Unknown|
- The "laser shotgun" design appears to be counterintuitive, as, unlike a ballistic weapon, there seems to be little point in splitting laser beams. However, this is hardly a new idea in science fiction - both Spacehounds of IPC by E.E. "Doc" Smith and The Puppet Masters by Robert Anson Heinlein feature "fan beam" mode for rayguns, which spreads several beams across a horizontal plane. It also appears that the energy required to messily tear a human target in two in a millisecond is comparable to the output of a conventional rifle.
- The Scatter Laser appears to work on a pump action, like a regular shotgun. It's possible that what's ejected and replaced are either burnt out heatsinks or spent power cells.
- This is the only laser weapon that does not have an EXALT equivalent.
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown Weapons|
|Grenades||Alien Grenade • Flashbang Grenade • Frag Grenade • Gas Grenade • Ghost Grenade • Needle Grenade|
|Heavy||LMG • Heavy Laser • Heavy Plasma|
|Launcher||Rocket Launcher • Blaster Launcher|
|MEC||Minigun • Railgun • Particle Cannon|
|Pistols||Pistol • Laser Pistol • Plasma Pistol|
|Rifles||Assault Rifle • Laser Rifle • Light Plasma Rifle • Plasma Rifle|
|Shotguns||Shotgun • Scatter Laser • Alloy Cannon|
|Sniper||Sniper Rifle • Laser Sniper Rifle • Plasma Sniper Rifle|