Weapon Upgrades are available for all primary weapons of soldiers in XCOM 2 after researching Modular Weapons. Weapon upgrades can be acquired as random loot drops in a mission, bought from the Black Market or obtained from Rumor sites. A primary weapon may take 1-2 such upgrades depending on the tier of the weapon being upgraded. If the 'Armed to the Teeth' Continent Bonus is acquired, an additional upgrade slot per weapon becomes available, up to a maximum of 3.
A weapon upgrade provides a permanent improvement to a weapon's performance. Once a weapon upgrade has been applied it can be replaced, but not reused: reusing is only possible if the player is able to obtain the 'Lock and Load' Continent Bonus.
Available Weapon Upgrades
Each weapon upgrade type comes in three qualities: Basic, Advanced and Superior, with the Advanced and Superior versions providing enhanced effects.
|Laser Sight||Increases Critical Chance.||+5%||+10%||+15%|
|Auto-Loader||Grants a limited number of free reloads per mission.||1||2||3|
|Repeater||Small percent chance on hit to instantly kill a target.||5%||10%||15%|
|Stock||Guaranteed damage on missed shots.||1||2||3|
|Hair Trigger||Small percent chance on hit to gain a free action.||5%||10%||15%|
|Expanded Magazine||Increased magazine size.||+1||+2||+3|
- Laser Sights cannot be combined with Scopes, but Auto-Loaders can be combined with Expanded Magazines.
- Laser Sights increase their bonus with proximity to target, up to an additional 10%.
- An "Executed" message will pop up when a target is killed by a Repeater triggering.
- It is not possible to apply two upgrades of the same type on one weapon, but it is possible to replace a lower-quality upgrade with a higher-quality one.
- Stock damage is reduced by the target's armor to a minimum of 1 damage. (source: video )
- Stock damage does not activate when attacking hacked robotic enemies.
- If Hair Trigger activates on an attack, it refunds all the action points used in such attack.
- If Hair Trigger activates upon the weapon being fired as the soldier's first action, the soldier will be able to perform two actions immediately after.
- If a soldier with Implacable gets a kill with their second action and the Hair Trigger activates, they will get one action to move and one to shoot instead of having the Implacable movement end their turn.
- If a soldier with Implacable gets a kill with their first action and the Hair Trigger activates, they will get three actions, one of which can only be used to move.
- Weapon upgrades are carried over when a soldier's ballistic or magnetic weapon is upgraded.
- Bug: This does not trigger the Excalibur achievement.
- Repeaters can no longer be triggered by damage from Stocks (as of the Alien Hunters patch).
- The Inside Knowledge Resistance Order increases the effects of Weapon Upgrades by an additional +1 or +5%, up to +4 or 20% for Superior grade upgrades.